In 1834 the area just north east of King’s Cross Station was known as Copenhagen Fields. It is now a 17,000 strong residential community and home to many businesses and groups including Macmillan Press, the National Council for Voluntary Organisations and Gratte Brothers. Back then, being just north of the Battlebridge Turnpike (now the junction of Gray’s Inn Road, Euston Road, Pentonville Road and York Way) it was the ideal meeting point for demonstrators supporting the Tolpuddle Martyrs. The Fields stretched from what is now Wharfdale Road right up to the modern Caledonian Park. Just four years before the demonstration a monument had been built to King George IV (as played by Hugh Laurie in Blackadder) so the turnpike took the name ‘King’s Cross‘. The 2009 commemoration march will start at Caledonian Park and end at Edward Square – the length of the original Copenhagen Fields.