Starting at 11am on Saturday 18th April 2009 outside the Mitre Pub on Copenhagen Street N1 0SR, David Rosenberg, coordinator of the Islington local2global project and guide for historical walks of London’s East End will inspire you on this 3 miles walk which will take approximately 2 hours.
• Which Islington-based preacher stood up to slavery
• Who used to meet in Clerkenwell’s Jerusalem Passage and why
• Which woman in Islington first proclaimed women’s rights
• Where the “Rights of Man” was written
• Which Islington school was closed because of its radical education
• Who the Spenceans were and why there were riots at Spa Fields
• Which radical newspapers were written in islington…
and discover Islington’s connections with Independence in India, the Russian Revolution, the Spanish Civil War and the liberation of South Africa.